In fact, “the cloud” is not amorphous but a real and physical, but ever-changing, collection of servers and storage units, located in data centers and tied together through fiber-optic networks routing
through peering points that are accessible through your Internet Service Provider at your home or office, or accessible through your cellular network provider and your smartphone.
The cloud model
Cloud computing is a model for empowering omnipresent, handy, on-demand community access into a shared pool of configurable computing ressources ( ex: servers, networks, storage, software and solutions ) that may be quickly provisioned and released using minimal direction attempt or service supplier discussion.
This cloud model is composed of five essential caracteristics, three services models, and four-deployment model.
Cloud computing services
There are three types of cloud services : IAAS PAAS SAAS
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) : The operating system and applications are installed by customers on servers, so they connect to work as if they were a traditional computer.
- SaaS (Software as a Service) : Applications are provided as turnkey services to which users connect via dedicated software or an Internet browser.
The five essential characteristics of cloud computing :
- On-demand self-service; most cloud services will provide administration screens where the end user can add or remove services themselves without the intervention of a technical support person;
- Broad network access, usually through the Internet but also through dedicated fiber links.
- Resource pooling, through virtualization and partitioning techniques;
- Rapid elasticity, this addition or removal Of computing resources can be done dynamically or in a matter of seconds or minutes, with the illusion Of infinite computing
- Measured service, with a pay-as-you-go model. TO describe quite simply the differences between the three service models, we can say that: Software as a Service (SaaS) is a specific application that is designed for end-users to do useful work, delivered over the web. Platform as a Service (PaaS) is a set of tools and services designed to make the coding and deployment of these applications fast and efficient;
The Key Benefits of Cloud Computing
Cloud computing eliminates the need to invest in hardware and software, and to configure and manage on-site data centers: server racks, permanent power supply for supply and cooling, IT experts for infrastructure management. The bill is quickly high.
Most cloud computing services are provided on a self-service and on-demand basis. Huge computing resources can therefore be implemented in a few minutes and a few clicks, offering companies a high level of flexibility and relieving them of the pressure of capacity planning.
Many cloud computing providers offer a diversity of policies, technologies and controls that globally enforce your security situation and help you protect your company’s data, applications and infrastructure from potential threats
Cloud computing simplifies data backup, disaster recovery and business continuity. It makes these activities less costly because data can be mirrored across multiple redundant sites within the supplier’s network.